For many of our advanced surgical procedures, Dr. Jenkins will include the use of a new and innovative treatment known as A-PRF. A-PRF utilizes your body’s own natural growth factors to enhance grafting procedures, lower the risk of infection, and accelerate/optimize wound healing. A-PRF is currently being utilized in other medical specialties such as cardiology, plastic surgery, dermatology, regenerative medicine, and orthopedics.
A-PRF contains a concentrate of many of your body’s own natural occuring growth factors such as:
- Platelet Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF)
- Insulin Growth Factor (IGF)
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)
- Transforming Growth Factor Beta (TGF-B)
- Bone Morphogenic Protein (BMP-2)
Prior to or during your surgery, a blood draw will be completed. Your blood will be placed into a centrifuge to separate the platelet rich fibrin from the red blood cells. Once the centrifuge process is complete, the platelet rich fibrin with concentrated growth factors will be removed and applied to the surgical site.