When periodontitis occurs around a dental implant instead of a natural tooth, it is known as peri-implantitis. Just like with periodontal disease, peri-implantitis is often the result of poor dental hygiene habits, and early diagnosis is vital to saving the implant and restoring oral health.
LAPIP™ stands for laser-assisted peri-implantitis procedure. It is a laser-based approach to helping treat damaged or failing dental implants. LAPIP™ allows the patient an opportunity to protect the dental implant investment with no scalpel cutting, bone-grafting, or stitches. This means less pain, less bleeding, less swelling, less tissue removed, less downtime, and less recovery time.
USES FOR LAPIP™ PROTOCOL
The LAPIP™ protocol allows for:
- Removal of the diseased tissue without damage to healthy tissue
- Elimination of the infection surrounding the implant
- Helping to maintain the height of the gum tissue around the implant
- Minimization of pain and discomfort
- Closure of the periodontal pocket wound, allowing healing to occur
The LAPIP™ treatment protocol is a no-risk first-line treatment that can preserve other treatment options. The ability to control and treat peri-implantitis will enable you to save and protect your dental implant investment.
LAPIP™ TREATMENT PROCEDURE
Below are the steps required when undergoing a LAPIP™ treatment:
- Perio probes will indicate the pocket depth of the periodontal pockets
- A laser will vaporize diseased tissue, bacteria, pathologic proteins, and any potential titanium corrosion contaminants in the soft tissue
- Ultrasonic scaler tips will be used to remove any surface accretions
- The bone will be modified at the time of surgery, if necessary
- A laser will be used to create a stable fibrin blood clot
- Occlusal trauma will be adjusted
- The new attachment will be regenerated
If you suffer from gum disease in Littleton, Colorado and require gum surgery, please make an appointment with Dr. Jenkins at Littleton Implants & Periodontics. LANAP® or LAPIP™ requires further training for Dr. Jenkins but offers the value of better precision and comfort to our patients.
Request a Consultation
At Littleton Implant & Periodontics, our patients can expect to be treated with dignity, respect, and the utmost level of care from our entire staff.
We utilize the latest of periodontal technology in combination with surgical techniques employed by a board-certified periodontist. We also take the time to educate our patients on pre-op and post-op procedures to ensure the overall success of our treatments.
Learn more about some of our periodontal procedures for patients in Littleton, Colorado and surrounding areas:
- LANAP® Laser Gum Surgery
- LAPIP Laser Periodontal Surgery for Dental Implants
- Dental Implants
- Bone Regeneration
- Crown Lengthening
- Gum Grafting
Click the link below to schedule a consultation and discover the periodontal treatment options available to you in Littleton, Colorado.